Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"DRAGONFLY POND" is finished!



 My "DRAGONFLY POND" quilt is finished and hanging in the kitchen. It has been an experiment in finishing a top that was made in a workshop and that I didn't find interesting anymore.  Here is a photo of the original top.



You can see that there were several changes made. In earlier posts, I have talked about the many steps that I went through with designing the new quilt. You can find them in the archives for February.

It's been fun doing this "redo" because I felt totally free to experiment, especially with paints.

At the end of my last post, I had just painted in all of the white highlights. 


I didn't feel like I had enough dark contrast, so I used a dark burgundy and painted in shadows around the white. It gave me more of the feel of gently moving water. 

I also added in some beading on the tendrils floating from the Water Nasturtium Leaves and in the water weed ( made with green painted, distressed cheese cloth) around the rock. The purple weedy growth was done with purple, 11o seed beads, using a fringe technique.


The rock has also been repainted to give it more depth. I used a burgundy color because I really felt like a "purple" accent was needed. The rock also now has three turtles sunning on it.

Plain glass beads were used to simulate air bubbles on the stems floating around the Water Nasturtium leaves. I also used up a supply of glass frogs, who are now enjoying the sunshine on the pond.



The edges were finished with a combination of satin stitches. The first layer was done with a ragged satin stitch using black thread.  The second round was done with a regular satin stitch using a variegated tri-lobal poly thread. Both of these threads are 40 weight.


I added a third round using FS#20 metallic thread by Madiera.  It is the same copper thread that I used on the fish.  I used a free motion technique with the machine set on the satin sitich.  It was easier than trying to get the edge to run under a presser foot.



I purposely made the edges with a ripple effect to add to the idea of water rippling in the pond. I also trimmed the piece in non-symmetrical curves. Again to add to the effect of a pond and it's wavy edges.

After this experience, I am excited about working with some other old pieces, some quilted and some not, to see what new and wonderful things I can do with them and to have the freedom of just experimenting.

I love this quote:


It looks we are in good company when experimenting with either unfinished pieces and changing them around or even cutting into quilted pieces.

So, look around your studio. I'm sure there are pieces waiting to be discovered and changed into something new and exciting.

Create Always,

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment