Monday, November 2, 2015

IRONS

IRONS for the STUDIO

 

 The other day I started to iron a piece of silk. I plugged in my iron, a Retro Black & Decker that I've had for at least 15 years, let it heat up and then started to iron the damp fabric. The iron was barely lukewarm. 

 

Well, I thought, I have put it to good use over the years, with the setting mostly on cotton and linen, so I figured it must be time to invest in a new one. 

 

 I remember that I paid $25.00 for this one,  at a local appliance store that is no longer in business.  I also remember thinking that I had gotten a really good deal. 

 

Here was an iron that was not going to keep turning itself off while I was trying to use it.  I also knew it was going to get hot enough to seriously press cotton fabrics, plus, I was tired of spending big bucks on irons that didn't last over a couple of years.

 

I didn't even know if the iron was still being made, so, I decided to check for it on Amazon. Yep! There it was and for only $21.95.  Since it takes me 45 minutes to drive into town from our farm, I went ahead and ordered the iron. 

 

While I waited for the new iron to arrive, I decided to check the extension cord that I had been using on the old iron, which was still in the studio.  That's when I discovered that the extension cord had somehow gotten pulled partway out of the wall socket. 

 

Once I had it plugged in all the way, the iron heated up and worked like a charm. 

 

The new iron arrived the next day and I'm keeping it. It has a lovely, shiny clean sole plate on it. The old iron has seen some rough use with embellishments that had created dark spots, on the sole plate,  that just will not come off. 

 

So, now I have an iron to use with melty, sticky stuff and one for clean fabric. 

 

Does it get any better than that for a fabric artist? Actually, yes, but that's another topic.

 

Create Always,

Karen



No comments:

Post a Comment