Saturday, November 7, 2015

FLYING SWALLOWS BARN QUILT


I designed and made this small quilt to give as a door prize at the Woodford County Barn Quilt Road Rally. Folks have come in from all over to drive our back roads and take photos of our barn quilts. 
 

 























The piece is an interpretation of our Barn Quilt which is based on the "Flying Swallows" quilt pattern. Our barn quilt is 8' square and is quite a presence on the landscape. Over the last few years, I have talked to several people who stopped to take photos of it. One day, I went out to say hello to someone and it turned out to be a quilter that I had met many years ago at a Kentucky Heritage Quilt Society Getaway. We remembered each other immediately.



The pattern is a difficult one to draft and even more difficult to hand piece ( I wouldn't even think of trying to machine piece a twelve inch square), so, I drafted it on freezer paper, ironed the freezer paper with the drafted design onto a piece of white cotton, made a quilt sandwich ( or should that be a quiltwich?) and quilted in the basic lines of the pattern.

I then proceeded to color in the different shapes using Derwent Watercolor pencils.

  

This photo shows the shapes all colored in and the colors sealed with Golden Fabric Medium.  I am adding in more detail quilting.  


Here is the piece with the rest of the quilting. At this point, I am also ading in another layer of color using more of the water color pencils and fabric paints by Stewart Gill.

 
 

To finish up, I beaded in small clear crystals where several of the points come together. I finished the edges with a black ribbon and satin stitch edge.  I then mounted the piece onto a 12" square artist canvas on which I already painted the edges black.  



Hopefully, whoever gets to take home this little "Barn Quilt" will really enjoy it. I certainly enjoyed making it. Now that I think of it, it would be fun to make someone elses Barn Quilt for them. 


CREATING WITH JOY and PASSION,

Karen






No comments:

Post a Comment