Wednesday, July 4, 2012

MAKING LEMONADE SHIBORI

I've heard some say " When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Well, of course, that will only work if life also  gives you the sugar.

Right now, life is giving me lemons in the form of this dreadful hot and dry weather. Since I have the sugar ( lots of fabric, studio space and paint), and, the shibori pieces need to dry completely before being unwrapped,  I've decided to take advantage of the hot, dry weather and experiment with some shibori painting and see how quickly I can get it to dry.

I used some cotton squares and silk chiffon for the experiment.

Here are some photos of the cotton and silk pieces with sewn areas, captured marbles and tied with rubber bands.






I don't know if these are conventional folds or not. I just figured it wouldn't hurt try several different ways and see what happens.

The Dyna-flo paints were mixed with water at a 50/50 ratio.  I then dipped some of the pieces into the paint. On some of the other pieces, I used a large brush to cover all the areas.  All of the pieces were dipped or brushed with at least 2 colors. Some of them more. 

Here's is the marble piece just after I've painted the marbles with the sulphur green. I did use a brush on this one since it would be too awkward to dip it. I then added the umber to the base fabric.


Here they are drying out in the sun, after having sat all night in the studio.


 Notice how the colors are changing as they dry.

This looks to me like it is going to be so much fun and I can hardly wait to see what they are going to look when they are unfolded and pressed.  I think the chiffon will be a fun summer scarf and I can hardly wait to use the other pieces in a quilt.

Check back here for pictures of the finished fabrics.

Surviving the heat so far and building up muscle hauling water,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment