Thursday, July 5, 2012

LEMONADE SHIBORI RESULTS

Here are the results of my first experiments with Shibori Painting using Dyna-flo paints and cotton and silk fabrics. Letting the fabrics dry out in the hot sun worked like a charm, even on the very heavily folded silk scarf.


  I love this first scarf. 
Of course, it took the most time and I think it shows.
I stitched meandering folds into both ends . Then, working toward the center, I tied in marbles using rubber bands. the final center was pleated and stitched closed.
The fabric is silk chiffon. I am going to try this on heavier silk and see what happens.

 This scarf was pleated, folded and rubberbanded. Apparently, I did too much folding. The fabric was too thick for the paint to penetrate all the way through. I still really like it and will probably do some further embellishing on the plainer areas.
 This is a 12" square of cotton. I just tied lots of marbles into it. I used 2 differnt colors of paint. One on top of the marbles and one brushed into the folds.
It's amazing how the colors changed.
 Another 12" square that I pleated, folded and added rubberbands. There's a lot of subtle shading going on with this one.  At first, it looks really linear but there's more to it.
 I love this one. I'm going to try to repeat this but have it more even.
 Again this piece was folded and then I used rubberbands to create sections that were individually dipped into the paint.
 I hand stitched folds into this one. I surprised by how subtle the design turned out. I'm trying this technique on another piece but making the lines more random.
Here are the above pieces, drying in the sun. Don't look kind of cute?












Last but not least, this is the cloth that I used to clean up the table after dyeing each piece.  I am really loving these Dyna-flo paints.




There's more to come. I have another tray of little pieces and another scarf drying right now.

Check back soon,

Oh, Be still my beating heart, the sky just clouded over! If it actually rains, you'll hear the screams of joy all over.

Karen

One last thing, there is a comment section, so, please, if you have anything to say, please leave a comment ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment