Monday, February 12, 2018

BEGINNINGS: A quilt Metamorphosis Story, Part 1





























I pulled out one of my "quilt incubators" last week. It was full of fabric that I had dyed and was just waiting to be put into a quilt.  


Here's a few of the pieces that I started with. They were hand dyed silk blend fabrics. 



My idea was to create a patchwork background that would then metamorph into a circular piece that would be a symbol "for all life being one life."

I started by cutting various fabrics into strips and weaving them into a square piece. The fabrics were back by Misty Fuse, so, as I was weaving them, I could fuse them into place.  Once the weaving was finished, I cut the piece into a circle and layered it onto a background.

I then pulled out another "quilt incubator" and started playing with glitzy, yet see through fabrics that would be layered over the circle. 




I cut the glitzy fabrics into circles and layered them over the woven piece.  I then satin stitched them down, using various metallic threads. 




Once that was done, I started quilting inside of the circles, again using metallic threads.  I'm using three different colors of thread and fabric. Each of the different colors has its own quilting pattern.
The patterns overlap just as the circles overlap.





 I will be adding more circles that are cut out of a gold lace material. They will go around the edge of the quilt.  




The whole idea is to build up the individual layers to represent how each aspect is individual but that the individual is also one with all of life.  

I hope to finish the quilting this week and start on the embellishments soon. 

Until next time,

Create with Quilting,

Karen









No comments:

Post a Comment