Tuesday, January 16, 2018

INKTENSE WATERCOLOR PENCILS AND an OLD QUILT




 SPRING HAS SPRUNG

designed by Karen S Riggins, 1995 

Paper pieced and applique




This photo shows the quilt on top of a Nine Patch that I made in 1979 out of double knits and othe fabrics. I machine quilted it a few years ago when it needed a new back.

I recently pulled out a small art quilt that I had made from a paper pieced pattern of my design, in 1995. It hung in our garden room for a long time, until I realized how faded it was getting to be. Not knowing what to do with it, I stored it away in the pie safe where I have other quilts stored.  When I got it out this last time, the thought occurred to me to try bringing it back to life by painting the fabrics with watercolor pencils.  That's all I was going to do, was use watercolors to bring back the color in the fabrics.  

I used a combination of Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils, cheaper watercolor pencils and Prismacolor Pencils along with a fabric medium made by Golden products, GAC 900 medium.  The medium intensifies the colors and blends them while also sealing the paint. 

Here's a photo of the quilt partially painted.  It's already starting to look much better.  



This is a small quilt, only about 20" square, so it was easy to think about painting the flowers.  That said, it's such an easy process and one that does not destroy the original integrity of the fabric, that it might be something to consider doing to a larger quilt that is faded but still in great condition. 

There is one issue that needs to be paid attention to and that is, making sure the paint does not bleed into the background fabric.  It just means being very careful with the medium when brushing it over the paint.

Here's the quilt after all of the painting was finished.

 


This photo shows detail of the painted flowers.

At this point, I tossed aside the idea of only painting the quilt and decided to quilt over the original quilting with metallic thread and to add in some beading detail. 

 

Here is a closeup of the flowers after being quilted with the metallic thread and beading added to them.  


Here's the completely finished quilt:

 I highly recommend this little quick fix for any quilt that you still love but that is looking a bit faded. I really love this piece now. It looks like "Spring has Sprung" again newer and better. 

Creating Always,

Karen

“Natural focus occurs when the mind is interested. When this occurs, the mind is drawn irresistibly toward the object (or subject) of interest. It is effortless and relaxed, not tense and overly controlled.” (W. Timothy Gallwey)


No comments:

Post a Comment